Dear creamy tortellini soup, with sausage, and spinach, and that rich and creamy tomato broth: ILYSB!
If there is just *one* soup you make this month, absolutely make it this one.
I’m not going to beat around the bush with you. Is it the healthiest: no.
Is it the most delicious, the most memorable, the most cozy, and the most compelling for bringing friends together around a table? Yes.
There’s something a little magical about savory sausage coming together with a sauté trio of onion, carrot, and celery, a generous bit of garlic, fresh spinach, and cheese tortellini, all of it enveloped in a rich and creamy base that is just tangy and tomatoey enough to cut the richness. Magical, I guess, or you could also just say alarmingly easy to eat bowl after bowl after bowl.
It’s one of those meals that you make and then you can’t stop thinking about the next day which is what happened to us, when our friend Ang was casually like, “hey come over for soup,” and we left 100% changed human beings, and then I asked her if I could please put this recipe on POY immediately because I COULDN’T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.
She also made us a loaf of no-knead cheese bread for dunking, sopping, and generally soup-scooping, which is definitely what I’d recommend with this particular tortellini soup situation.
Alright. You are ready. Tonight it’s just you, your coziest sweater (okay be real, sweatpants) and a deep bowl of creamy tortellini soup. ♡ A BIG WINNING MOMENT.
If you’re into all the cozy vibes going on here, here are a few more ways to make it happen:
- Coconut Curry Ramen
- Spicy Peanut Soup with Sweet Potato
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Check Out Our Video For How To Make Creamy Tortellini Soup:
Speedy tip coming your way! You can buy pre-chopped veggies or just chop all your veggies up in the food processor! (affiliate link) Less precise, but super fast and easy. You can also save time on onion prep with this guide on How to Cut an Onion.
Creamy Tortellini Soup that is comforting, cozy, and so yummy! Rich and creamy tomato broth, cheesy tortellini, fresh spinach, and Italian sausage.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed or chopped
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 6–7 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz. refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cups half and half or heavy cream
- 1 handful chopped fresh spinach
In a large stockpot set over medium-high, cook the sausage, breaking up into little pieces. When sausage is mostly browned, add onion, celery and carrot, sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the garlic, spices, and tomato paste; sauté for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning.
Add wine and let it cook out for a few minutes. Stir the flour into the sausage and cook for 1 minute. It’ll be sticky and dry. Gradually add in the chicken broth, stir to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cream, then bring it to a low simmer. Add the tortellini and spinach. Cook just until tortellini is al dente, per package directions. Serve with fresh parsley and Parmesan and dunk with cheese bread! Oh my goodness. This is living.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tortellini soup, creamy tortellini soup, tortellini, sausage tortellini soup
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our collection of yummy pork recipes. Check it out!