That one time I put Sesame Chili Vinaigrette on every food I ate ever? Best thing ever.
But can I tell you what’s actually consuming my mind right now?
It’s that I hate bad lunches. Today I ate this horrible tasting, horribly colored, overpriced boxed lentil soup from a health food store. Don’t feel bad for me – it was an American-brand-name-impulse-buy after a few too many scoops of ice cream.
Hey, did I already mention both of my lunch oranges were also devoid of any juice? Crispy oranges are not something that bring out the best in me.
And then there’s this beautiful, filling salad.
Lunch yesterday is a much happier memory. It involved me losing myself in the sweet and spicy happiness of this asian chicken salad. Words started to fade, vision started to go blurry, and I couldn’t even carry on a conversation. When the fork could no longer pick up the last bits of dressing-soaked carrots and peanuts, I picked them up with my finger. And felt okay about it.
By the way, there’s no better way to let people know you’re out of your mind than being a non-conversational salad remnant picker. Totally normal.
So I had it again for lunch, and I then I had again for dinner, and, um, again for (whispering voice) breakfast.
You heard me – I had a salad for breakfast. It’s probably like I’m sick or something, you know, from the water. Because that’s really not what regular people do.
But I woke up and just NEEDED that sweet and spicy Sesame Chili Vinaigrette in my mouth.
Speaking of need, I didn’t even have coffee this morning. This really is a loser food day.
Let’s make more Sesame Chili Vinaigrette.
I mean, Asian Chicken Salad. I mean, yeah.Print
This Asian chicken salad has chicken, lots of veggies, and is topped with a seriously addicting homemade sesame chili vinaigrette.
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat pulled off and shredded
- 2 small heads Chinese green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup sweet chili garlic sauce
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (I used calamansi – yum)
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- crushed peanuts for topping
- Cook the peas according to directions. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Combine chicken, cabbage, peas, carrots, cucumbers, and green onions. Toss to combine. Cover and chill for an hour.
- Whisk the chili sauce, honey, oil, vinegar, lime juice, and wasabi paste until well mixed. Chill for an hour.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss well. Sprinkle each serving with crushed peanuts.
I like to chill this salad so it’s nice and cold, but you wouldn’t have to chill it for an hour if you were really hungry.
Also, the dressing is totally personal preference as far as measurements go. Omit the wasabi if you don’t like it spicy, bump up the vinegar or lime juice if you want it to be more acidic, etc.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: asian chicken salad, chicken salad recipe, sesame chili vinaigrette
Hey. Have a happy lunch.