This butternut squash lasagna is a perfect vegetarian version of a classic – thick, creamy squash puree between layers of lasagna and cheese.
- 4 cups butternut squash puree (i.e. Farmer’s Market Organic canned)
- 1 1/2 tbs. sel de cuisine (features cinnamon, rosemary, and salt)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 short whole wheat lasagna noodles
- sliced cheese to top pieces (optional – but not really)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine squash purée, sel de cuisine, garlic, salt, and pepper; mix well. Combine ricotta, 1/4 cup Parmesan, salt and pepper in second bowl and mix well.
- Coat 8×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Put a little butternut squash on the bottom of the pan. Place 2 noodles in bottom of dish, overlapping slightly. Spread half of squash mixture over noodles. Layer 2 more noodles on top, and spread with half of ricotta mixture. Repeat layers—noodles, squash, noodles, ricotta—then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Top with sliced cheese and bake/broil an additional 5-10 minutes.
Covering the lasagna might help the top not to get so crispy looking – especially if you don’t plan on melting cheese over each piece. It might also help keep some of the moisture in. I made this uncovered and it tasted great, but next time I would either cover it while baking or add a little more liquid, like vegetable stock or something, to keep it super creamy!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: squash lasagna, butternut squash lasagna, lasagna recipe