I have been WAAAITING like a patient person to share this recipe with you, and my day has finally come. Or is it your day? Our day? Please welcome into your life: Carrot Cake Coffee Cake.
I know it might be confusing – carrot cake, which is like vegetables meets cake, but also still cake, combined with coffee cake, which is also cake but the kind you can eat for breakfast and it will still be totally appropriate and, obviously, cakey?
But no need to be confused.
If you like a carrot cake that tastes just slightly cinnamony and teeters perfectly between springy and dense…
And you like a coffee cake that is loaded with a mega amount of streusel topping…
And you like cakes that look beautiful and taste even more beautiful with a proper shmear of honey butter…
HELLO! Meet your one true match. This one is for you.
In This Post: Everything You Need For Carrot Cake Coffee Cake
- Watch How to Make Carrot Cake Coffee Cake
- Ingredients for Carrot Cake Coffee Cake
- Make Carrot Cake Coffee Cake
- Carrot Cake Coffee Cake: Frequently Asked Questions
Prefer To Watch Instead Of Read?
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make This Spring Treat
This is different than a classic carrot cake recipe because of the incredible crumb topping that YOU NEED, but we have a pretty standard baking lineup ahead.
For the cake:
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
For the streusel topping:
- more butter (yum!!)
- brown sugar
Let’s Make Carrot Cake Coffee Cake
Here’s how we make it (IT’S VERY EASY).
- Pulse the carrots in a food processor. I hate grating things, especially carrots. I’m not even sorry. Put me on the record. I said it. So, I am not going to make you grate anything! Just run your peeled carrots through the food processor, and if you don’t have a food processor, what are you even doing? You need this post.
- Make your batter. Grab a large bowl and mix up a very simple batter with eggs, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and (wait for it) butter. BUTTER. Carrot cakes traditionally use vegetable oil. But newsflash: BUTTER IS DELICIOUS. So today we use butter. Obviously.
- Mix up your streusel layer. Bring all your streusel ingredients together in a small bowl and pulse things up until you get a pebble-like texture.
- Bake! Grease your pan or put some parchment paper in there. Now it gets baked under an aggressively thick layer of streusel. You can test the cake doneness by sticking a toothpick in the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, it’s good to go!
- Major YUM! Whatcha waiting for? Drizzle some honey butter on (or, like some readers have done, a layer of cream cheese frosting!) and let’s gooo!
And finally, THIS HAPPENS.
The crumbly topping is just barely crunchy, and the honey butter shmear gets melty-ish because it’s all still a little warm. You have a coffee in your other hand, and it might just be an excellent little afternoon spring hygge moment for you.
Carrot cake coffee cake! I’m telling ya.
Carrot Cake Coffee Cake: Frequently Asked Questions
I used a 9-inch round cake pan, but an 8 or 9-inch square or smaller rectangular baking dish would also work.
It’s super easy! See recipe notes for exact instructions.
Salted butter is best for this recipe!
Carrot Cake Coffee Cake! A super easy batter loaded with shredded carrots, topped with a thick crumbly cinnamony streusel, and finished with a melty sweet honey butter.
Carrot Cake Coffee Cake:
- 2 large carrots
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Peel and grate the carrots (I use my food processor). You should have about 1 1/2 cups.
- Cake Batter: Whisk sugar, melted butter, and eggs. Stir in carrots. Add flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Mix until just combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Streusel: Mix ingredients for the streusel until you get a texture that looks like pebbles (sometimes I use my hands to mix it all together).
- Bake: Spread batter into a greased 9-inch round baking pan (see FAQs). Sprinkle with streusel. Bake for 30 minutes until the center is just set. Top with honey butter if you’re extra (you are).
Honey Butter: Mix 1/4 cup very soft butter with 1/4 cup honey. Spread or dollop on warm slices of carrot cake coffee cake and die and go to heaven.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot cake coffee cake, coffee cake, carrot cake
More Delicious Carrot Treats
- Healthy Carrot Muffins (a naturally sweetened, easy-to-make snack!)
- Raw Vegan Carrot Cake Bites (perfect as an on-the-go spring snack)
- The Best Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting (this frosting is EVERYTHING!)
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our yummy carrot recipes page. Check it out!