Plantains, my sweet little loveys! ♡
Is this not the most perfect Friday food?
These golden brown, crispy, salty tostones are my favorite of all the favorites. French fries – yes. Onion rings – okay, twist my arm. But tostones – GIMME NOW. There is never a wrong time for tostones. So much good happens when you fry those little rounds of plantain, smash them into edgier, flatter chip-like pieces, and dip them into your favorite sauce (MAGIC GREEN SAUCE duh). They are everything crispy, salty, and wonderful that a Friday should be.
And homemade! In 20 minutes! Gluten free vegetarian vegan like everyone can eat these! You win!
I’m not even sorry to say that tostones kind of remind me of the potato oles that I used to eat back in the day when I grew up in a tiny little Minnesota town whose only Mexican restaurant was a Taco Johns. Anyone? I mean, as much as we want to be above it, we can’t lie to ourselves here: these little fried potato nuggets might be one of the tastiest types of fast food ever created. God bless those potato oles.
But surprise! I’m an adult – er, “adult” – now and I generally don’t eat potato oles anymore except when desperate times call for desperate measures but just, you know, no one needs to know about that. But I DO MAKE TOSTONES. And those homemade tostones are far superior to fast food fried potatoes *food snob nose in air* and more importantly: provide yet another per-fect way to consume that Magic Green Sauce.
Get ON it.
HOW TO MAKE OUR CRISPY TOSTONES (1.5 MIN):
So there are many ways to enjoy tostones, but this post is primarily dedicated to the original way which is plain, with a little of your fave dipping sauce.
Throwing it back, though
I’ve made these tostones a few times – you can find them making a few variations here on the blog, like in this post for Garlic Tostones with rice and beans – the lovely recipe concept from my Puerto Rican friend Maureen – or just regular tostones tucked nicely in the Brazilian Burrito Bowls covered with that amazingly yummy creamy cilantro lime slaw. Dreamy.
But the real question: why have I not made more than two recipes featuring these crispy bites of heaven? There is no good answer.
You guys need to start holding me accountable here.
Make it happen.Print
Crispy Salted Tostones – super easy recipe for golden brown bites of perfection with just one ingredient: PLANTAINS! video demo in the post.
- 3 green plantains
- 1–2 cups vegetable oil
- sea salt to taste
- Magic Green Sauce for dipping
- Peel the plantains by making a vertical cut through the skin and peeling it back with your hands or the edge of a spoon (see video).
- Cut the plantains into 1-inch thick pieces. Heat a layer of oil in a heavy bottomed pan (see video to eyeball the amount).
- Fry the plantains in batches. When the plantains are starting to turn light golden brown, remove from the oil and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Smash each piece with the back of a wooden spoon – this gives you a flatter shape with rougher edges. Return to the frying pan and fry for an additional 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Transfer back to a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately, dipped in some kind of yummy sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Keywords: tostones, salted tostones, tostone recipe
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our collection of easy appetizers. Check it out!