Hello, if you didn’t know we were based in Minnesota yet, you do now because here we are with another chicken and wild rice soup recipe! And for the crockpot no less! We are staying hardcore true to our roots.
Super creamy, savory goodness with tender shreds of chicken and perfectly cooked veg. Wholesome piles of deliciously satisfying wild rice throughout. Ope, yep yep yep! Grab some warm crusty bread because this soup is truly a dream to come home to on a cold winter night.
(Again, if you weren’t sure about the whole from-Minnesota thing, please see the use of “ope!” in that last paragraph.)
In This Post: Everything You Need For Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Prefer To Watch Instead Of Read?
Ingredients You’Ll Need To Make Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
For such a deep, rich, savory flavor, this soup has a pretty short ingredient list. It’s just that each member of the team here is really doing their part, bringing their own special something to this beautiful soup. Here’s what you’ll need!
- wild rice (it’s important to use authentic wild rice here and not a wild rice blend)
- chicken breasts (or chicken thighs could also work)
- mirepoix (chopped celery, carrots, and onions)
- chicken broth
- poultry seasoning
- All-purpose flour
- whole milk
- white wine (optional, but such a nice touch)
Also get your favorite crusty bread ready to tear because you are definitely going to want to be swooping, scooping, and dipping through this soup over and over again.
Let’s Make Chicken Wild Rice Soup In The Crockpot
Because we love a good crockpot, throw-it-in-and-leave situation, this one comes together super easily with a little finishing touch at the end for creamy dreaminess.
- Crockpot. Rinse the wild rice first and then toss that, the raw chicken, mirepoix, broth, and poultry seasoning into the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours until chicken is cooked through and the rice is soft.
- Shred. Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot, allow to cool slightly, then shred it up and add it back in.
- Cream. Time to make a roux! Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour and let the mixture bubble. Slowly whisk in the whole milk until a thick, creamy mixture forms. Stir in the wine. Then add this all to the crockpot and stir to combine. Add extra liquid if needed and season with salt and pepper.
Look at that! It cooked all day while you went about your business and now you’re ready to ladle out bowl after heaping bowl of this glorious soup. Sit down at the table or, even better, curl up on the couch with a warm blanket and let this soup cozy you right up.
What To Serve with This Soup
It seems like no soup experience is complete without some big hunks of warm crusty bread like maybe this easy peasy no-knead bread to dip. And sure, spoons are helpful with soup but also…how great is it to just scoop it with bread?!
If you are looking to add a little green to the meal, this Simple Green Salad or this Brussels and Kale Caesar Salad come together quickly and beautifully. Or maybe you want to sheet pan up some roasty vegetables to go on the side?
But really, if you’ve heard nothing we said here, bread. That is, after all, the Minnesota way. And also, BREAD IS GREAT.
If there is a chill in the air, grab your ingredients, toss them in that crockpot and then smile all day knowing you get to come home to big tastes with this warm, cozy, delicious little friend.
Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup: Frequently Asked Questions
What does poultry seasoning consist of?
The poultry seasoning is a mix of several things, including thyme and sage. Even though it’s only a teaspoon, do not omit this because it adds a lot of the flavor. If you don’t have any, just use any other herb seasonings that you like. Thyme and sage are the best in my opinion.
Can this be made vegetarian?
Absolutely! Check out our mushroom version of this recipe here.
How would I make this in the Instant Pot?
Add your wild rice, chicken, seasonings, veggies, and broth to the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 30-40 minutes with a quick release once the soup finishes cooking. Shred the chicken in the Instant Pot. Make your roux on the stovetop with butter, milk, and flour. Whisk it up and add it to your Instant Pot with the rest of the soup. Stir to combine and enjoy!
This Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup is so darn simple to make. Chicken, carrots, celery, onion, wild rice, seasonings, and cream. Pair with a piece of crusty bread on a cold night for the perfect meal!
1 cup uncooked wild rice
1 pound chicken breasts
2 cups mirepoix (chopped celery, carrots, and onions)
6 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
2 cups whole milk
- a few tablespoons white wine (optional)
- up to 2 cups additional milk or water
- Rinse the wild rice. Place the uncooked wild rice, raw chicken, mirepoix, chicken broth, and poultry seasoning in a crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. The chicken should be cooked through and the rice should be soft. There will be extra liquid in the crockpot; do not drain.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and allow to cool slightly. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the crockpot.
- When rice and chicken are done cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and let the mixture bubble for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the whole milk until a thick, creamy mixture forms. Stir in the wine.
- Add this to the rice and chicken in the crockpot and stir to combine. Add extra water or milk to adjust the consistency as you like it. Season with additional salt and pepper.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 8 hours
Method: Slow Cooker
Keywords: crockpot wild rice soup, chicken wild rice soup, wild rice soup
Recipe Card powered by
More Cozy Soups To Make ASAP
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our all-star slow cooker recipes page. Check it out!
The post Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup appeared first on Pinch of Yum.