This double chocolate cake with buttercream frosting was what I made myself on my birthday. So chocolatey, so rich, so perfect. Happy Birthday to me!
Double Chocolate Cake, from Foodessa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee (or 1 cup boiling water)
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting from Confessions of a Tart
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (more to your tastes)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2–3 cups of powdered sugar (more or less to achieve desired consistency)
Double Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three round baking pans and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract; beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in hot coffee.
- Pour batter evenly between the three pans and bake on middle rack of oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Whip the room-temperature butter on medium speed. Shift to low and add cocoa powder slowly, spoonfuls at a time, until fully incorporated. Still on low, add in the powdered sugar (also one spoonful at a time), alternating with the milk, to achieve desired consistency and taste. Then, beat on medium speed until very light and fluffy, another 3-5 minutes. Add in more sugar if consistency is too thin.
I used two of the cakes and frosted the middle/top/sides. And from the same batch, I still have a third cake and enough frosting to make some extra cake pops!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 828
Keywords: double chocolate cake, buttercream frosting, chocolate cake recipe