These easy cheesy chicken noodles are comfort food at its best! Thick, soft egg noodles coated in a creamy sauce and tossed with shredded chicken.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 lb. egg noodles (“homestyle”, thick and doughy)
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 12 oz. cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used Cheddar and Monterrey Jack)
- crumbled bacon or breadcrumbs for topping
- Saute garlic in a medium saucepan with a little bit of olive oil over medium heat until soft and fragrant. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until noodles are just barely cooked.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water and add to the boiling noodles. Boil for about 1 minute and remove from heat. Add the chicken and stir to combine everything. Do not drain.
- Let noodles cool slightly – about 5 minutes – so that the broth will thicken into a sauce. Put pan back on low heat. Add butter, milk, and cheese and mix for about 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon or breadcrumbs and serve immediately.
Add an additional tablespoon or two of water/milk if the noodles have become too sticky after cooling. This will make it smooth and creamy again.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheesy chicken noodles, chicken noodles, cheesy noodles