This garlic chicken and vegetable pot pie is a perfect easy springtime dinner. Made with asparagus, carrots, and leeks. So comforting!
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1 leek, white and light green parts, sliced and rinsed in a bowl of water
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups chopped asparagus
- 12 ounces frozen peas
- 1 garlic rotisserie chicken (or about 2 cups shredded chicken seasoned with garlic)
- 2–3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sheet pie crust, 1 sheet puff pastry, or 1 croissant dough sheet
- Make the filling: Melt 1 tbs. butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add leeks and carrots and saute for 5 minutes. Add asparagus and cook another 5 minutes, or until vegetables are just tender crisp. Remove from heat, stir in frozen peas, and set aside. Shred chicken and add to the pot.
- Make the sauce: Melt 6 tbs. butter in a large saucepan. Add garlic and gently saute over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add flour and stir until a thick paste forms. Add the stock, 1 cup at a time, whisking after each addition. Season generously with salt and pepper. Sauce should be thick! Add to chicken and vegetables and mix to combine.
- Top it: Pour mixture into a greased pie pan or 9×13 baking dish. Top with crust of your choice, stretching or rolling dough so that it just barely hangs over the edge of your dish (see notes). Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Brush the warm crust with 1 tbs. melted butter. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. This is best served the same day that it’s baked.
I had about one serving of extra filling that didn’t fit in my pie dish. I ate it with shredded cheese and no crust – it was absolutely delicious.
For the crust, I used a pre-made croissant dough sheet that was in the refrigerated dough section at the store. I stretched it to cover the whole pie dish, folded it over the edges, and cut a few slits in the middle.
If you want a more shiny crust, whisk one egg and brush it over the crust before baking.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken pot pie, chicken and vegetable pot pie, pot pie recipe