Remember orange rolls?
I’m talking about the ones you can unroll from a tube and bake in 3 minutes.
Buttery soft dough and an orange glaze. Best served the morning after an unintentional all-nighter where you’re devouring The Hunger Games + eating an entire batch of party balls, and your husband is playing Flight Control on his iPhone.
Dang, orange rolls are good.
I’m pretty sure these Glazed Orange Muffins
- are reminiscent of orange rolls, in a better way.
- made my face shine radiantly with joy the moment I took a bite of the soft, pillowy muffin and sweet, candied citrusness.
If these bright little cuties don’t catch your eyes, I don’t even know who you are. Look at those crunchy little sparkles all over the top! LOVE! They’re like fake sprinkles, only better. More like muffin bling.
And in honor of New Years resolutions, these Glazed Orange Muffins were made with whole wheat pastry flour.
New years resolution: eat more whole wheat. Check. Check, check. Check, check, check… Check.
Whole wheat covered with candied orange sugar sprinkles. That’s my favorite kind of whole wheat.Print
These delicious whole wheat glazed orange muffins are topped with a sugary zest. So easy to make, bright, and fresh for breakfast!
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- juice of 1 or 2 oranges (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- generous 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- orange zest + white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350. Whisk together the milk, oil, egg, corn syrup, orange juice, and a pinch of zest.
- Mix in the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt until batter is just combined. Pour batter into a greased muffin tin and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until tops spring back when pressed.
- For the glaze, mix the powdered sugar with the orange juice, adding 1 additional teaspoon of orange juice at a time to achieve the desired consistency. For the sugared zest, combine 1 part zest with 2 parts sugar and combine with your fingers until crumbly.
- When muffins are done, cool completely before dipping tops in glaze. Once dipped in glaze, immediately sprinkle with sugared zest.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whole wheat orange muffins, glazed orange muffins, orange muffins
Can I just say thank you so much for all the feedback you gave in yesterday’s post?!
I wish I could feed you a muffin right now.