Thanks to Alex and Sonja from A Couple Cooks for today’s guest post! Yum!
Ahh, summer. The season couldn’t come fast enough this year, at least in my book! Now that it’s finally here, we’ve been taking good advantage of two of the best things of the season: the garden, and the grill.
There’s not much better than walking outside to grab a few handfuls of fresh basil or cilantro to add to your meal. (And even if you don’t have space for a garden, try planting a few herbs in pots in a sunny place – you won’t regret it!) The only problem is that once you start, you won’t be able to stop – I can’t stop myself from adding fresh herbs to everything lately!
And we’re having the same problem with the grill – why use the oven or stovetop when you can cook outside? Quesadillas work well on the grill, and this smoked gouda quesadillas recipe is a great way to combine some fresh herbage along with grilled goodness. They’re a non-standard take on the traditional flavors; the Gouda adds an excellent smoky flavor to the sweetness of the barbecued onions.
Of course you could make these quesadillas on the stovetop instead of a grill…and even skip the fresh herbs. But if you’re lucky enough to have both, why not take advantage of the season?
This grilled barbeque and smoked gouda quesadilla is a perfect summer meal. It’s simple, filling, and full of delicious flavors!
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large yellow onions
½ cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons water
- Around 1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)
6 to 8 ounces smoked Gouda cheese
⅓ cup chopped cilantro
8 flour tortillas
- Preheat a grill to medium low heat.
- Thinly slice the onions. Chop the cilantro. Coarsely grate the Gouda cheese.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add sliced onions and saute for about 5 minutes, until almost soft. Add ½ cup barbecue sauce and 2 tablespoons water; stir until onions are evenly coated, around 2 minutes. Turn off heat, and add hot sauce to taste.
- Place tortillas on a work surface. Spread onions, cheese, and cilantro on half of each tortilla, and then fold in half (the folding method makes it easier to grill!).
- Place the quesadillas on the grill, and cook until toasted and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes per side. Cut quesadillas into thirds, and serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Keywords: bbq quesadilla, cheese quesadilla, gouda quesadilla
Recipe Card powered by
About the authors: Sonja and Alex co-write one of my favorite food blogs, A Couple Cooks. Their photography is absolutely stunning (as you can see), and their food is creative, fresh, and flexitarian. They strive for “simple, fresh, seasonal, and delicious!” And they do it well. Learn more about them here.
The post Grilled Barbeque Onion and Smoked Gouda Quesadillas appeared first on Pinch of Yum.