These healthy chipotle sweet potato skins are stuffed with a chipotle-sweet potato filling, black beans, corn, and topped with cheese.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 can corn, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2–4 INDIVIDUAL chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced or pureed (not the whole can!)
- 1 ounce light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup light sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt (+ more to taste)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons shredded cheese (Pepperjack, Cheddar, Colby Jack… anything will work)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the sweet potatoes for 45-60 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, place corn in a heavy cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with no butter or oil. Sprinkle with salt and other Mexican seasoning (as much as you want – thinking taco seasoning or a mix of chili powder and cumin). Do not stir! Let corn roast for several minutes before stirring. Let it roast for a few more minutes before stirring again. Continue this for about 10 minutes, until corn is browned and roasted on the outside. Set aside in a small bowl with the black beans.
- Saute the onion in the butter over medium heat until soft and translucent. Set aside.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven when fork-tender. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut the sweet potatoes in half. Scrape the flesh of the sweet potatoes out, leaving the skins intact. Sometimes leaving a thin layer of potato inside of the skins helps them hold together better.
- Mix the flesh of the sweet potatoes with the cream cheese, sour cream, chipotle peppers, and salt. You can use a mixer or just a spoon, depending on how soft the potatoes are. When well-mixed, gently stir in the black beans, roasted corn, sauteed onions, and cilantro.
- Scoop the filling into the skins and top each with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Broil for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
The filling is delicious all by itself! One serving size is 1 potato skin.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican sweet potato skins, sweet potato skins, healthy sweet potato skins, potato skins