This kickin’ cashew chicken is like Indian takeout at home! A a creamy cashew sauce with lots of Indian flavors. My favorite homemade Indian recipe!
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb. cubed raw chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Peel and quarter the onions. In a food processor, process the onion pieces for about 1 minute or until a smooth puree forms. Add the next 8 ingredients (through oil) to the onion mixture and process for another 1-2 minutes.
- In a heavy pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Pour the spice mixture from the food processor into the pan and fry for 2 minutes. The lightly cooked spices will start to give off a nice aroma.
- Add the cubed chicken breast, half of the cilantro, and the golden raisins. Stir-fry for another 1 minute.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice and garnish with remaining cilantro or cashew pieces.
I like the sauce to have some texture so I don’t process it all the way (check out the texture in the pictures).
I love cilantro and spices, and these amounts reflect my preferences. If you’re hesitant, reduce the amounts. (And actually, the sauce is not all that spicy. There are lots of flavorful spices, but it’s not firey-hot-get-me-a-glass-of-water spicy.)
For a more veggie friendly dish, add broccoli, peppers, potatoes, or peas!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: cashew chicken, indian chicken, creamy cashew chicken, chicken recipe