June 6th! It’s our anniversary. On a day like today, I am so thankful for the blessing of a leisurely morning enjoying lemon pancakes with my husband. Pure bliss.
Except we actually ate them on Saturday.
I was not about to get up early enough on a Monday morning to make lemon pancakes and blackberry syrup from scratch. Even on our anniversary. I think I’m still recovering from last Friday’s Track and Field Day.
Confession. If I would have gotten up 15 minutes earlier, I would have had plenty of time to pull these together. But if there’s one thing I love more than my husband and lemon pancakes, it’s sleep. Every minute I can spend in my cozy bed is a dream come true.
Err, let’s hope my dreams don’t come true, because I’ve had some weird ones lately, including my debut with a Boyz II Men quartet, and a dangerous encounter with Free Willy.
Annnd back to reality.
Two things – besides my husband – have been really HOT lately.
- Lemons (see today’s post)
I picked up this honey at the Farmer’s Market not too long ago, and honestly, I didn’t love it right away.
But given some time, I’ve become obsessed with this single-source local honey that is totally crystallized. It’s not a liquid at all – it’s like sticky sugar, tightly packed into this little jar, bursting with real honey flavor. It can be added to anything, including blackberry syrup, and it melts like a dream.
And somehow we’re back to the dreams.Print
Amazing Lemon Pancakes that are light, fluffy, and easy to make topped with a blackberry syrup made from blackberry jam. Delicious for a weekend brunch!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup blackberry jam
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbs. honey
- 2 tbs. water
- In a small bowl, rub the lemon zest into the granulated sugar until fragrant. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and butter. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until just combined. The batter will be a bit lumpy…make sure not to overmix.
- Heat a nonstick griddle pan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup of batter to the pan and cook a few minutes on both sides, until just lightly golden brown. Place cooked pancakes on an oven proof plate and let rest in a 200 degree oven while you fry the rest of the pancakes. Makes about 6-8 pancakes.
- Whisk all ingredients together and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand for 5-10 minutes. Adjust consistency as needed by adding a few teaspoons of water. Whisk again until smooth and pour over pancakes!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 799
Keywords: pancake recipe, lemon pancakes, pancakes and syrup, blackberry syrup
Happy Anniversary, Borg, Bork, BeJork, Dork, Bjork, whatever your name is. You are the syrup to my pancakes. XOX.