This recipe is sponsored by WHOLESOME!
Minty chocolate cake and frosting wrapped in white chocolate and gold sprinkles and swizzled with one more chocolate drizzle? Oh, hiiiiii! That’s where we’re headed today.
Happy Holidays, friends! We’ve arrived in this very happy minty chocolate December place and IT. IS. GOOD. I am holiday-dancing like Elf over here as the snow falls and my un-packed Europe suitcase lays open in the living room, and the Christmas music blares on full blast and the smear of chocolate cake batter looks nice and cute on my chin. Whatchu gonna do bout it.
HOW TO MAKE OUR HOLIDAY CAKE BITES (1 MIN):
Do you remember cake pops?
Are they still having a moment? I’ve never made the actual cake pops on a stick because I mostly would just rather make Thai Noodle Salad and Creamy Pasta type things, but you guys, I either just did something brilliant OR more likely something very outdated that has been done hundreds of times before: I made cake pops that are not actually pops. Who even needs those little sticks?
These are, in fact, just CAKE BITES.
As in Cake + Frosting = little fudgy balls of cake goodness.
(Don’t even panic because look how cute they are when dressed up: )
A big, beautiful batch of minty chocolate holiday cake bites.
For this recipe, I did not bother to make my own cake or frosting from scratch. No way, no how, and don’t even pretend to be mad.
It’s one of my very few issues with making the huge batches of Christmas treats – it takes so long to MAKE 100 cookies, so how do you expect me to have any energy left to DECORATE them?
And even though normally those putzy, decor-based food projects kind of make me want to hide away forever, this – this lovely, sparkly, snowy and cozy December time – is the one season of the year that I really just want to sit down with some truffles, dipped pretzels, or reindeer-shaped cookies and go to crazy town with the holiday drizzles, sprinkles, and toppings. It’s my one time, okay? Just let me save my strength for the decorating.
I have some good news when it comes to the not-making-your-own-frosting part: Wholesome! now makes an organic, all natural canned frosting.
Ummm, I know, right? I was a little skeptical.
But I found it at Whole Foods, tried it with these cake bites, and realized that it’s very awesome.
It’s made with ZERO artificial colors or flavors and ZERO high fructose corn syrup. Boom.
Fudgy, sparkly, minty if you want them to be, perfect stored in the fridge for an after-dinner bite-sized dessert or five…
Pretty much this is my favorite part of the holidays.Print
Minty Chocolate Cake Bites! Incredibly easy and perfect for the holidays.
- 1 box mix of chocolate cake (or you can make it from scratch! you just need the standard amount of cake for a 9x13 pan)
- 1 12.5 ounce can Wholesome! organic chocolate frosting
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- almond bark for coating
- melted chocolate for drizzling
- sprinkles for decorating
- Bake the cake according to package directions (I usually underbake just a little bit).
- Crumble cake into a large mixing bowl. Using your (clean) hands, mix the can of frosting and peppermint in with the cake until a smooth, even mixture forms, kind of like a cookie dough. Mix in the chocolate chips and pop into the fridge for a few minutes to cool so it’s easier to work with. Roll into balls and freeze until solid.
- Melt the almond bark. Roll each ball in the almond bark, set on wax paper or foil, drizzle with melted chocolate, and top with sprinkles, and wait for them to set. Transfer back to the fridge or freezer for storage until Christmas!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cake bites, holiday dessert, chocolate dessert, mint chocolate