I have a thing going with mushrooms.
It’s not really a good thing. It’s more like a grossed out thing.
But then I had a delicious portobello burger on our road trip, and things started heating up for me and the mushroom. So I bought some.
That might have been a little ambitious, being that I had no idea how to wash them, prepare them, or cook them.
Then, just as I was about the start cutting them, I noticed the gills.
Yes, gills. What is a vegetable doing with gills? Oh, wait, it’s actually a fungus, right?
This should be illegal.
Wait, OK? This story has a happy, cheesy ending.
So I decided to go ahead and chop the portobellos, gills and all.
I know. You’re probably frowning at the screen right now.
But after eating 5 slices of pizza, I did my research. And I have since learned that many people do scrape out the dreaded gills, but only for coloration purposes. Portobello gills are totally edible. Whew.
So here’s where things get a little crazy: I loved them on this pesto pizza. I honestly loved the taste and texture of these portobellos (gills and all) baked with roasted red peppers atop a punchy pesto crust. And of course, under a blanket of melted cheese.
This simple 5 ingredient pesto pizza features portobello mushrooms and red peppers. Easy and delicious for your next pizza night!
- your favorite pizza dough (I used a loaf of frozen bread dough because I had some, but if you’re going homemade, try this)
2–3 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
5 jarred roasted red peppers, sliced
3/4 cup parmesan mozzarella blend
1/4 cup pesto (store bought or homemade)
- Follow the directions for whatever dough you are using. When it’s risen and ready, roll it into a circle and place it on the pizza pan. I let mine rest for another 20 minutes after rolling it.
- Decide if you want to leave the gills in or not. Chop them into long, thin slices.
- Spread the pizza dough with pesto. Top with portobello slices and roasted red pepper. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 425 for about 10-15 minutes, then check periodically until it’s done. Your time and temperature will depend on your dough, too.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Keywords: red pepper pizza, pesto pizza, mushroom pizza
Recipe Card powered by
Mushrooms. Not just for weirdos anymore.
Or else I’ve become one?
The post Portobello Red Pepper & Pesto Pizza appeared first on Pinch of Yum.