Sometimes I have good ideas.
Like this Roasted Sweet Potato Salad. I’m going to say it’s my best idea all week! A fresh, sweet, and mildly spicy potato salad that’s also vegan?! Yes, please!
Runner up for best idea of the week would be evacuating my classroom yesterday afternoon and moving 24 fourth graders, 24 water bottles and 1 large fan into the computer lab for an impromptu Read Aloud.
On the other hand, sometimes my ideas are not so amazing.
And maybe it will take a 100 degree day and 8 blotchy mosquito bites to prove to me that a sushi picnic at Lake Calhoun is a miserable idea.
Or it might take a severely red heat rash to convince my husband that it would be a life-changing, life-saving idea to install air conditioning in both his car and our home.
After more than a year of waiting.
And extreme sweating.
And it definitely takes the right kind of potato salad to make me realize that it’s ok to eat something warm on a hot day. I simply have no patience for chill time when there are sweet potatoes, black beans, red peppers, cilantro, and lime involved.
And you really shouldn’t wait. This is a top-notch vegan (applause) salad, whether you serve it warm or cold, at the lake or in the comfortable air conditioning, as a double or single serving. YUM.Print
This roasted sweet potato salad features black beans, bell peppers, and of course, roasted sweet potatoes with a simple dressing. Fresh and yummy!
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 half of a red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- half of 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- a few tbs. chopped red onion
- zest of 1 lemon or lime
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put sweet potatoes, jalapenos, red peppers and garlic on a large baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, toss to coat and spread out in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast, turning occasionally, until potatoes begin to brown on corners and are just tender inside, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven; keep on pan until ready to mix with other ingredients.
- Combine red onion, lemon/lime zest, black beans, and cilantro in a small bowl. Add sweet potato mixture and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and maybe a drop of honey. Serve warm or at room temperature, or refrigerate for up to a day.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato recipe, sweet potato salad, salad recipe
You were wondering how the day in the classroom sauna went? Well, considering only one student threw up after recess, I’d say things went well…
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our best healthy summer salads page. Check it out!