This super easy sausage and mozzarella calzone only has 4 ingredients and makes a perfect freezer meal! Awesome idea for lunch or dinner.
- 4 frozen bread loaves (I used Rhoades brand)
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup tomato sauce (pizza, pasta, marinara, whatever)
- Thaw the dough. I thawed mine for about 8 hours in the refrigerator. Then I took them out and let them rise again for about an hour until they were puffed up.
- Brown the sausage. When cooled slightly, mix with sauce and mozzarella.
- Cut each loaf in half. Roll it out and place about 1/4-1/3 cup sausage mixture in the middle of each calzone. Fold the tops over and pinch shut with a fork.
- Bake for about 12 minutes at 400 degrees, or wrap and freeze!
One serving is half of a calzone, and I would definitely recommend making the whole batch and then freezing what you don’t eat. I am guessing that if you freeze them, you could just let them thaw for a few minutes when you are ready to bake, and then bake at 400 degrees for closer to 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: sausage and mozzarella calzone, meat calzone, calzone recipe