These Spicy Peanut Tofu Bowls are a meal prep / weeknight dinner life-saver! Crispy tofu, roasted veggies, fluffy rice, and a spicy sweet peanut sauce all over top. YES.
- 2 blocks of extra firm tofu
- 1–2 tablespoons cornstarch
- olive oil and salt
- 2 small (or 1 large) head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (toasted or dark)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek or chili paste (this is where the “spicy” comes in, so add to taste)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, honey, or agave
- a small knob of fresh ginger, peeled
- a clove of fresh garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup water
- Press liquid out of the tofu. Cube tofu and toss (gently) with the cornstarch until coated. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Arrange broccoli and peppers on another baking sheet. Drizzle all with olive oil and salt. Roast both pans at 425 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until tofu is slightly crisped and broccoli is roasty and delicious.
- While the tofu and broccoli are roasting, cook the rice.
- Also, make the sauce by blending everything in a blender or food processor.
- Serve tofu and broccoli with rice and a good drizzle of peanut sauce. YUM!
For an exceptionally dry and chewy tofu, keep your tofu in the freezer! Thaw the day before in the fridge, drain, and press water out as usual. You’ll be able to get more water out that way, and you’ll be left with tofu that has a slightly drier, chewier texture that many people (myself included) find very very delicious.
To get your tofu a little browned, put it on the top rack of the oven, just a few inches from the heat source.
Keeps amazingly well as leftovers – I keep mine for a full 5 days!
I topped my bowls with black sesame seeds to make it extra pretty.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Asian-Inspired
Keywords: tofu recipe, peanut tofu, tofu bowl, vegan meal prep, vegetarian meal prep