Hello, hello! This could be a weird pregnancy thing I’m loving right now, or it could be something that all people love, all the time? Time will tell. Either way:
Avocado Shrimp Salad, comin boldly on through.
This Avo Shrimp Salad is reminding me of three other things: avocado egg salad (another swap-mayo-for-avocado salad situation), goddess curry chicken salad (another cold, creamy, healthy summer lunch), and a standard shrimp roll. Like, you know, the kind of shrimp roll you’d imagine getting on a boardwalk or something? I mean, I’ve never ACTUALLY eaten a shrimp roll on a boardwalk. But it just kind of seems like the right thing to associate this with – almost like you could stuff this cold, creamy goodness into a bun if you wanted to really go that direction, right? But you don’t even need to. It’s good enough on its own. Boardwalk not included.
Here’s what’s happening in this Avocado Shrimp Salad:
- mashed avocado
- substantial lemon drench
- salt and pepper
- dill or chives, or both
- diced cucumber
- fresh spinach (optional – just depends on the moods)
- ice-cold, super-fresh, delicious 3-minute poached shrimp which are almost kinda sweet? know what I mean? they are REALLY speaking to me right now.
I have been making this as a single-serve deal, because usually I’m eating lunch solo, and also because it doesn’t keep all that well once it’s been prepared (THANKS A LOT, AVOCADO).
But here’s what I do: I poach and ice-bath a bunch of shrimp all at once and keep those in the fridge. I also chop up a bunch of cucumbers and herbs, and stash a few avocados on the counter. Then when it’s lunchtime, I mix it up. Everything comes together super quickly.
I cannot understate my love for a good one-bowl salad situation.
Recommendations for serving:
Outdoor seating, with some crackers, maybe? or those Parmesan cheese crisps that they sell at Costco? OMG. Also, a big glass of iced coconut water or, if you’re really feeling it, LEMONADE. I mean, honestly – how good is standard lemonade? And an inappropriately drippy peach for dessert.
Are you feeling this? I am so feeling this. I’m sending all the summer vibes to you through the screen.Print
Avocado Shrimp Salad packed with chilled poached shrimp, fresh dill, creamy avocado, and a nice big lemon drench.
- 1/2 lb. shrimp (tails removed)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a sprinkle of garlic powder (optional)
- squeeze of one lemon
- half of a small cucumber (diced)
- a pinch of fresh dill
- a pinch of chives
- Poach the shrimp: Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the shrimp. Cook for 3-5 minutes until pink and opaque. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water to cool. When cooled, pat dry and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Avocado mixture: Mash the avocado. Season with salt, lemon, and garlic powder if you want.
- Assemble: Toss shrimp, avocado mix, cucumber, and herbs together. Season to taste. Eat on the deck in the summer with a cold coconut water and feel like a million bucks!
I usually buy a full pound of shrimp and cook all of it, but then I make it into salad in two batches. The salad doesn’t keep well, but the extra cooked shrimp will do great for a day or two in the fridge.
Sometimes I add some chopped fresh spinach to this salad to kind of bulk it up a little bit and get some extra greens in my life.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: avocado shrimp salad, shrimp salad, summer salad
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our best healthy summer salads page. Check it out!