This whole wheat roasted veggie lasagna is loaded with roasted veggies, ricotta cheese, and soft whole wheat lasagna noodles. Yum!
- 6 cups fresh sturdy vegetables, chopped (red or yellow peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, etc.)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt (more to taste)
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 jar spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 1 2/3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the chopped vegetables with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon of the salt and arrange on a baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes or longer, until soft and lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Saute the onion and garlic in 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and add to the roasted vegetable mixture. Stir the beaten egg in with the ricotta cheese and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a glass 9×9 baking dish, pour a few spoonfuls of sauce into the pan and spread it around to prevent the noodles from sticking. Layer ingredients: noodles, ricotta, vegetables, sauce. Repeat until the pan is full (for me, this was 2 layers). End with a layer of noodles and cover them with another few tablespoons of sauce. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.
- Cover with well-oiled aluminum foil so the cheese doesn’t stick to the foil. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until the entire pan is bubbling and the cheese is melted. If you want, remove the foil during the last 10 minutes of baking to help the cheese melt or brown. Let stand for at least 15 minutes so that the individual pieces hold together. Cut into 9 slices and serve.
Sometimes I turn on the oven broiler to help with roasting.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: whole wheat lasagna, veggie lasagna, healthy veggie lasagna